Admission to the program is primarily based on leadership, strong communication skills, motivation, and quantitative aptitude. We consider students from all undergraduate majors. Applicants should possess basic skills in statistics, computer programming, and database management. Deficiencies in these areas do not preclude admission but should be addressed before the start of the program.
The 2023-24 application cycle has closed, and we are now accepting applications for the 2024-25 cohort.
Final International Student Deadline:
Final Domestic Student Deadline:
Please note: These deadlines apply for program entry the following year: i.e., apply by November 1, 2023 (early action), February 1, 2024, or March 1, 2024 to enroll and begin the program in July 2024 with the online Summer II semester course on managerial statistics. Late applications will be processed as space allows. This program is not STEM certified.
Applications for the Master of Science in Business Administration — Business Analytics program are submitted electronically through the Virginia Tech Graduate School application system. The full application process takes about an hour to complete, and your progress can be saved to return to at a later time.
Apply using the Graduate School's online application portal. The application will require you to submit the following:
- 2-minute introductory video. Share how you heard about the MSBA-BA program and two things that differentiate you from other MSBA-BA applications. A video produced via cell phone is sufficient.
- Academic and Professional Goals Essay. Please share why you want to pursue the MSBA-BA degree, how it would serve your ultimate career objectives, and what makes you a stand-out candidate for the program.
- Resume with 3 references. We do not require submission of recommendation letters, we simply require the contact information for 3 references.
- Undergraduate transcripts. We look for a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher. We may consider an applicant who does not meet this threshold but who shows significant strengths in other areas.
- TOEFL or IELTS scores for international students.
We do not require submission of GMAT/GRE scores. Once your application is complete, please pay the $75 application fee and submit. We consider applicants on a rolling monthly basis. Qualified applicants will be contacted to schedule an interview after the online application has been reviewed. If you have questions about your application status, you are always welcome to contact us.
Please note: we do not offer application fee waivers. If you attended a school where English was the primary instructional language, the TOEFL/IELTS is not required. Learn more here.
Detailed Application Walkthrough
CREATING AN ACCOUNT
- Go to the Graduate School application portal.
- If you already have a VT account, click the 'Sign in with VT Account' link. Otherwise, click the 'Create a New Account' link. Once you confirm your email address, you will receive another email with a temporary passcode.
- Login with your email and temporary passcode.
- You will be prompted to create a new passphrase.
- Fill in the name fields to finalize your account setup.
STARTING YOUR APPLICATION
- Log into the Graduate School application portal with your VT account or the account you created previously.
- Click the 'Start New Application' link at the bottom of your home screen.
- Select your application term year.
- Select your application type. Please contact us if you are not sure which selection to make:
- If you are applying to the MSBA-BA degree program, select 'Degree Seeking'.
- If you are applying as a Commonwealth Campus student, select 'Non-Degree Seeking'.
- If you are applying to be readmitted to the program, select 'Readmit'.
COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION
The application contains multiple sections. Please fill out all fields as instructed in the application. Specific information for some sections is included below:
International applicants must apply using their legal name exactly as it appears on their passport.
Returning Virginia Tech students must provide your VT student ID number.
Virginia residents should complete the in-state tuition questionnaire. Permanent Residents (PR) must supply a copy of their PR registration card. Non-U.S. citizens must have a visa. Please contact us if you have any questions about visas or PR documentation.
Each year, a portion of our MSBA-BA students are granted assistantships through the Center for Business Analytics, other departments or centers within the Pamplin College of Business, or elsewhere at Virginia Tech. If you wish to be considered for a graduate assistantship or fellowship, select the checkbox that says 'yes'. Selecting this does not guarantee you will be offered an assistantship. Compensation varies from year to year and is approved by the Board of Visitors. Learn more about graduate assistantships here.
Program of Study
For the MSBA-BA degree program, select the following:
- Select 'Business Administration' from the Program dropdown.
- Select 'Business/Business, Analytics' from the Program Option dropdown.
- Click Continue.
- Select your planned enrollment schedule (full-time or part-time). Please do not enroll as a part-time student without first contacting us.
- Select 'Master of Science' from the Degree Type dropdown.
- Select 'Blacksburg' as the campus.
- Select your intended start term. Unless you have prior authorization from our office, you should select 'Summer 2023' as our program begins during the Summer II session. You may need to click the Continue button and come back to the Program of Study section to select your term. If you do not see term options, please ensure that all information has been completed in the Domicile Information section.
Once you complete the Program of Study section, two sections entitled BBA Information and BBA Supplemental will appear. Under the BBA Supplemental section, fill out how many years of work or internship experience you have, as well as whether or not you have analytics experience. If you select 'yes', you will be asked to briefly describe your experience with analytics.
Video Capture or Upload
Either use the Video Capture section to directly record your 2-minute introductory application video, or use the Video Upload section to upload your 2-minute introductory application video. In your video, describe how you heard about the MSBA-BA program and detail two key things that differentiate you from other applicants. A cell phone video is sufficient.
SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION
- Click the Review section to ensure that all required fields have been filled out.
- Once you are confident that the application is complete, click 'Finalize Application' to submit.
- Pay the non-refundable application fee ($75). If you received an application fee waiver code, please be sure to enter this in the Financial Assistance section before submitting your application. Please note that the Center for Business Analytics does not currently offer tuition waivers.
Applicants who are accepted for admission and intend to enroll will need to send an official transcript(s) showing conferral of their degree(s) to the Virginia Tech Graduate Admission Office at the address below. Electronic transcripts should be sent to email@example.com.
120 Graduate Life Center
155 Otey Street
Blacksburg, VA 24061-0325
If you have additional documents that you believe would support your application, please send those materials to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We encourage you to contact us with any questions about the application process or supplemental materials.
Have questions about the application process or the MSBA-BA program in general? Watch the recording of a recent virtual information session below.